Most Innova scan tools that support live data allow you to record and playback live data. For example, the Innova 5410, 5510, 5512, & 5610 models can do this. Here is a step-by-step process explaining how to record and playback live data.
You can record and save several frames of Live Data information for each PID (Parameter Identification) supported by the vehicle in the scan tool's memory. There are two ways that the scan tool can record Live Data: Record by DTC Trigger or Record by Manual Trigger.
- Connect the scan tool: Plug the scan tool into the vehicle's OBD2 port. This port is typically located under the dashboard on the driver's side.
- Get the engine running 1st, then connect tool 2nd: The engine needs to be running for Live Data to work. Get the engine running 1st, then connect the scan tool 2nd.
- Select Live Data: On the scan tool, press LD (Live Data).
Innova 5610: Recording Options and Live Data Playback
Record by DTC Trigger
This function automatically saves Live Data information when a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) is set in the vehicle. This recorded data can be helpful for troubleshooting issues, especially if there's a fault triggering a DTC. The scan tool can store around 100 frames of Live Data.
- Put the scan tool in Live Data mode and hold down the LD button until the Live Data Menu appears.
- Release the LD button, then choose "Record Live Data" and press ENTER ↵.
- In the Record Live Data Menu, select "Record by DTC Trigger" and press ENTER ↵.
- A screen called "Select PIDs to Record" will show up. Use UP ▲ and DOWN ▼ to navigate through available PIDs (parameters). Press ENTER ↵ to select a PID, and a checkmark confirms your choice. Repeat this process for the desired PIDs. To deselect a PID, highlight it and press ENTER ↵ to remove the checkmark. For recording all PIDs, choose "Record All PIDs" and press LD to proceed.
- Once you've made your selections, press LD to continue. If there are existing DTCs in the vehicle's computer, you'll get an advisory message. Select "Erase DTCs," then press ENTER ↵. A message saying "One Moment Please" will appear while the DTCs are erased. If the erase is unsuccessful, you'll see an advisory message.
- Trigger the DTC by putting the engine in the condition that causes it or driving the vehicle until the problem occurs at the desired speed.
- When the scan tool detects the fault and a DTC is set, it automatically records and saves around 100 frames of Live Data for each selected PID. A progress message is displayed. You can stop and save the recorded Live Data anytime by pressing ENTER ↵. Once recording is complete, a confirmation screen appears. Choose "Yes" and press ENTER ↵ to playback Live Data or "No" to return to the Live Data menu. If recording fails, an advisory message is shown. Press ENTER ↵ to return to the Record Live Data menu.
Not sure which scanner to buy? Take our quiz.
Discover your ideal OBD2 scanner by answering a few questions.
Only takes a few seconds.
Record by Manual Trigger
This option allows you to choose the specific time for Live Data recording using the Manual Trigger. This feature is particularly useful when dealing with intermittent issues that don't meet the criteria for setting a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). The scan tool can capture about 100 frames of Live Data.
- In Live Data mode, press and hold the LD button until the Live Data Menu appears, then release it.
- Select "Record Live Data" and press ENTER ↵. This will bring up the Record Live Data Menu.
- Choose "Record Manually" and press ENTER ↵. The Select PIDs to Record screen will be displayed.
- Use UP ▲ and DOWN ▼ to go through the available PIDs. Press ENTER ↵ when a PID you want to record is highlighted (a checkmark confirms your choice). Repeat until you've selected all desired PIDs. To deselect a PID, highlight it and press ENTER ↵ to remove the checkmark. For recording all PIDs, select "Record All PIDs" and then press LD to proceed.
- Once your selections are made, press LD to continue. The Record Live Data screen will appear. Highlight "Start Recording." Put the engine in the operating condition where the problem occurs. If needed, drive the vehicle until the problem occurs at the desired speed.
- When the issue happens, press and release LD. A progress message will appear on the display. You can stop and save recorded Live Data at any time by pressing ENTER ↵. When recording is done, a confirmation screen appears. Choose "Yes" and press ENTER ↵ to playback Live Data or choose "No" and press ENTER ↵ to return to the Live Data menu as desired. If the recording was unsuccessful, an advisory message will be displayed. Press ENTER ↵ to return to the Record Live Data menu.
Innova 5610: Recording Live Data & Live Data Playback
Live Data Playback
After recording Live Data, it gets saved in the scan tool's memory. You can review the recorded Live Data immediately by selecting "Yes" on the Record Live Data confirmation screen, or you can access it later using the Playback function.
- Connect the scan tool to the vehicle and enter Live Data mode by pressing and holding the LD button until the Live Data Menu appears, then release it.
- Choose "Playback Live Data" and press ENTER ↵. The Playback Live Data menu will be displayed. If you selected "Yes" on the Record Live Data confirmation screen, the tool enters Live Data Playback mode, and the Playback Live Data menu appears.
- Select either "Continuous Playback" or "Frame by Frame" and press ENTER ↵. Note that the screen can only display a limited amount of PID data at once. If additional PID data is available, a small arrow will be shown on the display. Use UP ▲ and DOWN ▼ to view all available PID data. While reviewing recorded Live Data, check for irregularities in PID values/signal information (e.g., LTFT %, RPM, MAP, TEMP, etc.). If any PIDs are out of specification or irregularities are detected, follow the procedures in the vehicle's service repair manual for additional troubleshooting and repair.
- In Continuous Playback, the scan tool plays recorded data at a rate of one frame every 15 seconds. When playback is complete, a "Playback Complete" message is displayed. To replay the data, choose "Continuous Playback" or "Frame by Frame" and press ENTER ↵. To exit Live Data Playback mode and return to Live Data mode, select "Exit Playback" and press ENTER ↵.
- If you choose "Frame by Frame," you need to manually scroll through individual frames. After viewing all PID information for the current frame of Live Data, select "Next Frame" or "Previous Frame" as desired, then press ENTER ↵. To exit Live Data Playback mode, choose "Exit Playback" and press ENTER ↵. If there is no Live Data currently stored in the scan tool's memory, an advisory message will be displayed. Press LD to exit the Live Data Playback mode.